Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Rich Toys Vintage Dollhouse Tour: 6. Master Bedroom

Twin beds in a master bedroom? Remember the old movies had twin beds for the mom & dad? When did movies and TV programs begin showing a single large bed for the married couple? Yes, times have changed, haven't they? When my dollhouse was new, I don't think double/queen/king beds were even in existence... especially not for dollhouses!




Several pieces of furniture in this room date back to the 1950's:  the twin beds, the dresser with the mirror, and the high chest of drawers. The green chair was added at a later date. The baby with the bassinet were gifts from my grandmother to my daughter when she was young and playing with the dollhouse.





Interesting note -- the back of the mirror on the dresser has $1.50 marked in pencil!





The way the story goes, mother made the bedspreads when I was a little girl. The ruffled drops were made from left over fabric from mother's own draperies and the white tops from a soft terry cloth towel. I don't know if she made the sheets and pillowcases or if they came with the beds.



In this picture you can see grooves in the ceiling. I'll tell you the story behind them when we tour the next room...




No comments:

Post a Comment