Saturday, January 21, 2017

Rich Toys Vintage Dollhouse Tour: 5. Comfortable Living Room

As we enter the living room, notice that there's no flatscreen TV here. The old chunky RCA works just fine. Look, there's a basketball game on! Mother and daddy were huge basketball fans. Mother found a tiny picture years ago and "put the game on," so to speak. Another special memory frozen in time...


With strong encouragement, our son took piano lessons for a short while. The lessons are long forgotten, the piano remains...





















The fireplace is original to the home although, if memory serves me correctly, it was painted the red pattern of the porch. During a frenzy of activity during the 1970's, I was "antiquing" everything I could get my hands on. (You remember: apply a coat of paint, then rub a glaze over the paint to highlight the brushstrokes.) Thus, the fireplace became another victim of my short-term interest...
























I believe the green sofa and easy chair date back to Christmas of 1952, too. Grandmother made all the cute crocheted rugs in the house; neither mother nor I had the talent for such things.



Traces of the 1950's "formal living room" remain while the room slowly transitions into more of a "family room" -- thereby, reflecting my own family's more casual home style preference by the 1980's.



A bright day, a makeshift photography studio, a trusty camera, and a steady hand all work together to preserve these vignettes for you and for a very special "Little Miss" who's just six. She has never seen grandma's dollhouse; but it's waiting patiently for her while her little fingers develop, shall we say, a more delicate touch. My mission in writing these entries is twofold: first, to introduce my "grown-up" dollhouse to my adorable granddaughter in story form; second, to research the dollhouse itself as well as all the furniture (for possible value). Meanwhile, I hope you are enjoying the tour!

Let's see, where were we? Oh, yes, please continue up the stairs to see the second floor.






















The master bedroom is next...

No comments:

Post a Comment